How to Become an Electrician: 5 Steps to TakeElectrical work is hard and can be dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing. This is why it’s so important to have extensive training and experience working under a licensed contractor before you can be licensed to work on your own. Here are the 5 steps you need to take to become an electrician.
1. Make Sure It’s What You WantIt’s important that you thoroughly research what it means to be an electrician before you start on your journey. The last thing you want is to spend years working towards your goal, only to discover that you don’t actually enjoy the work. Talk to other electricians, shadow them if possible, and make sure it’s something you could see yourself doing for the many years to come.
2. Are You Qualified?In order to even start on your journey to becoming an electrician, you need to be sure that you’re qualified for the job. Here are the basic qualifications for pursuing a career as an electrician:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Be in good physical condition
- Have reliable transportation to school and job sites
- Able to work independently and in a group
- Able to follow instructions